About Us

Shalom!  Welcome to Temple Sinai.

 

We are a vibrant and proud egalitarian Conservative synagogue dedicated to strengthening our members' commitment to Judaism and community. Our goals are to foster a greater understanding and respect for Judaism, and instilling a love of Judaism and our rich culture in our congregants and their families.

We also are dedicated to dor l'dor - generation to generation – as we commit ourselves to shaping a vital Jewish future for our children.

Our members, many of whom are second, third and even fourth generation Temple Sinai families, actively participate in all we have to offer from our Shabbat and weekday services to our Adult Education classes and active Men’s Club, Sisterhood, Hazak, and Youth programs.

Join us! Visit for a Shabbat, let us introduce you to our members, visit our schools, or take a class, and you'll begin to see why we’re so proud of all we have to offer.

Our History

It was in 1940 that a group of 25 women met to discuss the religious, cultural, and educational needs of the rapidly growing community of Philadelphia's West Oak Lane neighborhood. There, the nucleus of our Sisterhood was first formed, followed by the formation of our Men's Club.

In 1942, Temple Sinai rented a former food market at Ogontz Avenue and Washington Lane. Working together, congregants transformed the facility into a place of worship which was used for Temple Sinai's first High Holy Day services. Over 250 congregants attended and worshiped with the congregation's new spiritual leader, Rabbi Sidney Greenberg. It didn't take long for the Temple Sinai family to outgrow that building.

Following a campaign which included selling "bricks" door-to-door, a ground breaking ceremony was held in 1947 at the synagogue at Washington Lane & Limekiln Pike. In 1951, a new school building was completed, coinciding with the arrival of Cantor Nathan Chaitovsky.

By the 1960's, as the suburbs were being developed, a group of Temple Sinai families became residents of Upper Dublin Township. Looking for a spiritual facility closer to their own homes, they held High Holy Day services in the Jarrettown Methodist Church in 1965. That congregation, known as "Suburban Temple of Montgomery County," merged with Temple Sinai in 1967.

When many of Temple Sinai's families continued their exodus to the outlying areas, a seven-acre site was chosen in 1971 for a new school building at the corner of Limekiln Pike and Dillon Road. Seven years later, a sanctuary was built and the synagogue moved to its present location.

In 1996, Rabbi Howard Addison became the congregation’s senior rabbi, serving until 2002. Cantor Stephen Freedman began his tenure in 2001 and Rabbi Adam Wohlberg was engaged to lead the congregation in the summer of 2002.

 We would welcome the opportunity to share more about Temple Sinai with you!  
For an opportunity to visit or speak with us,
please click here to email us or call 215-643-6510

STAY CONNECTED

Temple Sinai is an affiliated member of United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism (USCJ)